Monday, April 16, 2012

Lego Creation: The Discovery

Discovery


A 1:60 scale LEGO model of the Discovery, from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

This has always been one of my favourite science fictions vessels, and way back in 2003 I set about to build a LEGO version of it. The making of it is a long and mostly dull tale that has been told before (see BrickJournal #1), and that I don't really remember anyway. It's now been over 8 years since I completed it. Time to finally retire it and retrieve all those wonderful old grey pieces.
I've always had an LDraw version of it available on my website, and over the years I've actually heard from a few people that have gone through the effort of building it. I finally (that's right, 8 years later) got around to making step by step PDF instructions for it. No, I don't expect anyone will actually use them, but it was an interesting test for some software I've been working on, and now they exist.

PDF instructions, parts list and LDraw file can be found at www.truedimensions.com. Good luck sourcing all the pieces. Additional pictures can also be found on Brickshelf



Discovery - Side

Discovery - Details 1

Discovery - Details 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...